Friday, October 28, 2016

Why Do You Want To Be Happy?

As you can see by the title of this I am going to try to answer the question of "Why do you want to be happy?" I was first posed this question in my philosophy. Now before I go on you must know I HATE my philosophy class, like its literally the worst. But in this one moment I happened to be paying attention and my professor posed this question to us. I then went back off in thought and pondered this question myself for multiple days now.

It is a tough question to answer and I am almost positive that there is no exact conclusion.

I wanted to actually see what others thought about this so i went to my good friend google and researched it, again this is not a school assignment, I am doing this out of genuine curiosity. Here is what I found:

Aristotle happens to be the biggest brain behind this philosophy. Were learning about him in class, and within my research Aristotle believes that happiness is only achieved with a fulfillment of conditions not only physical but mental. Aristotle says happiness consists in achieving, which I love. It seems like he is basing it off of achieving your goals and succeeding in them. I agree but I also do not. I love that it is believed believing and reaching your goals can make you happy, but I also know that things are not permanent.

For example, say your goal is to graduate college (aka my goal) and 4 years later you have a college degree hanging up on your wall. Your goal is complete you are happy, but are we ever fulfilled? I believe we aren't. As humans we are always trying to reach goals. When we finish one goal we move on to the next. It is just temporary happiness isn't it?

It seems simple when you think about it but it really isn't. Overall, I do not think anyone has the correct answer to this question, but I'm going to give it my best shot:

I want to be happy and to be able to say 'I had a great life.' I feel like if we are okay and at peace at the end of our lives that is happiness. I want to be happy because happiness is something that enlightens the soul and radiates everywhere. I want to be happy because the opposite of that is sad/depressed and that doesn't sound like something anyone wants to be. I want to be happy because why would I want to be anything else?

I am not sure If I ever will find complete happiness and I don't know if you will either. We cannot tell the future and we cannot take guesses. It sucks that the future is unknowing and it isn't something we can change either.

Overall I hope you want to be happy and I hope you find it.

xoxo :)


2 comments:

  1. I love that you're pondering this question!

    Philosophy classes can be difficult; in my own experience, I've found philosophy more interesting by exploring different philosophies on my own, and when it's not for a grade :)

    I think happiness and fulfillment is something unique to each of us. One can be fulfilled, but there's no guarantee that this sense of fulfillment/contentment will last for life, especially if one is goal-oriented. Some people are wired to go on "quests" or seek goals to accomplish, then they move on to the next and the next. Others are happy and fulfilled if their basic needs (shelter/clothing, love/ relationships) are met.

    I've learned that, for me, happiness is a state of mind that I can control. I can look at my life through a grim lens: I have a lot of bills to pay, one of my children is dealing with severe depression, my mom's going through health issues, and so on.

    On the other hand, I have a fulfilling job at Bishop Hartley, I love my students and colleagues, I have a loving family, and my basic needs are met consistently. I have wants, but my needs must take precedence, and they are satisfied.

    I've made a conscious decision to find the proverbial silver lining in the clouds, while years ago I would've been focused on the negative.

    To answer your question, in my experience, our happiness is shaped by our perspective, our own philosophy on life. I like to look at my glass as half full rather than half empty.

    Juli xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this topic!! Philosophy in the classroom repulses me, but I feel it is important to take time to ponder questions like these. We can make advances to not only better our own lives but act in ways that improve the lives of others.
    My favorite bible verse is 2 Timothy 4:7, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith"
    It reminds me that at the end of my life I want to be happy with the way I lived. I want to be able to look back and smile at my memories, and know I made it through the good and the bad with the help of God, my friends, and my family. It'll also be my first tattoo if I don't pass out at the needle :)
    I want to be happy because my quality of life is important; I am so blessed with all I have been given and take conscious steps to acknowledge it everyday. Though the road gets tough the glass half full perspective, as Mrs. Roberts said, is where our happiness lies.
    Rose <3

    ReplyDelete