Thursday, December 22, 2016

Book Nook

Hey guys whats up. It is almost a new year so I am trying to read as much as I can before this years reading challenge is over and 2017s begins!So today's book is "The New Guy (and other senior year distractions)" by Amy Spalding.

I have to say this book was the definition of cheesy, possibly too cheesy. I'm not saying I did not enjoy the plot or the book in general, but it wasn't the best book I've read this year. The plot is basically about a girl named Jules who is a overachiever that cares about grades, her school newspaper, and getting into Brown. However, it all gets screwed up when a new "famous" boy comes into town, Alex Powell. Also a rival to her schools newspaper and editor position means war so it is crazy hs drama book.

Honestly, I hated the main character Jules. She was whiny, annoying, and never believed in herself. She cared too much about the wrong things and she is one of those people in high school that needs everything to be perfect and to go her way. She also overthink-ed EVERYTHING about her life which drove me nuts. I however loved her Alex and I liked thatcher and carlos who are also working in the school's newspaper. I don't know I feel like the less the author talked about the character the more I liked you cause I could make up my own personality for them.

One thing I really did like about this book is that is was about senior year which is ironic cause I just graduated because I felt the same way Jules did about college. Jules really wanted to get into Brown and i really wanted to get into OU. I worked my ass of to get where I am today and in that way I related entirely.

I don't know if it was the way the author wrote the book or what but it seemed like some chapters were dumbed down for young people to understand. It definitely was not one of my favorites and for the first time in awhile I don't know if i would ever recommend it. Honestly, you truly aren't missing out on much with this one just because it is so cheesy.

It just sucks because I saw so much potential I just think it is for a younger audience. However, didn't stop me from liking some quotes from the book :)

Favorite Quotes: "Just that if within the span of days you can feel so honest with someone, you can see how bigger things might be possible too."

"I'm excited about college and I'm excited about my future, but only recently did I start thinking about how all of that means my present has to end."

"When someone breaks your heart, something about that person physically should be required to change."

"When you hear about war heroes, they don't emerge victorious from easily won battles."

"High school is a crazy time to age us so much."

"Who would leave someone they loved?"

"Boys should disappear when they hurt you."


No comments:

Post a Comment