Friday, September 23, 2016

Book Nook

Hey everybody! New book = New blog post! Over the past couple months I have tried so hard to get into this book because its an oldie. I felt like the first time i picked it up i wasn't in the right state of mind or focused enough. So i decided to come back to it later and i finally finished it.

It is "Tender is the Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. My high school junior English teacher gave it to me as a gift with i appreciate so much! It is a classic book that has a lot of drama! It is actually pretty scandalous and crazy if you really focus on the text.

It is basically a crazy love rectangle between; Rosemary, Dick Diver, Nicole, and Tommy. Dick and Nicole are doctor and patient but also husband and wife. Rosemary loves Dick and Tommy loves Nicole. However, the twist is that behind the back Dick loves Rosemary and Nicole loves Tommy. Nicole almost feels held back and held down by Dick towards the end of the book and starts to have an affair with Tommy. Rosemary is young and in love with Dick and the person he is and how he looks. Dick loves her back and they have an affair. THIS PEOPLE ARE CRAZY! Also at the end the character Mary basically confesses that she loved Dick too!

I dont really know why all the characters loved Dick cause he was a cheater and liar and a secretive man. He married for money and was kinda a dick (pun intended). He is actually one of my least favorite characters in the whole book.

Not going to lie i had to take notes on this book so i didnt get lost on what was happening. There are so many characters and plots happening! Also the book has some french in it and i know i took french 3 years in high school i had no clue what they were saying, I probably shouldve looked up the words but i decided against it but if you read it dont be like me, look it up!

If you are into old time books i recommend, It definitely was not my favorite book but it had me entertained 100% and that makes a good book.

Favorite Quotes: "I used to think until you're eighteen nothing matters."

"My politeness is a trick of the heart."

"Now human respect-- you dont call a man a coward or a liar lightly, but if you spend your life sparing people's feelings and feeding their vanity, you get so you cant distinguish what should be respected in them."

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat."

"Well, you never knew exactly how much space you occupied in peoples lives."

"Excuse me. I'm not much like myself any more."

"Wanting above all to be brave and kind, he had wanted, even more than that, to be loved."


No comments:

Post a Comment