Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Book Nook

This book review is a good one guys. It is on the novel, "The Cellar" by Nastasha Preston. This book was ironically enough first published to Wattpad. If you don't know, Wattpad is a place where anyone who loves to write can create stories and post them for people to read. This book started off as a random girl writing a story that wanted to share her creation and now it has 22.5 million reads on Wattpad and a million copies sold. That is crazy, so keep writing my friends! I heard about this book a couple of times and shoved it to the side for years. However, my list of books I knew I wanted to buy was running out so next time I went to the bookstore I had to improvise.

I saw this book on the shelf and immediately recognized the cover and the title from word of mouth. I was now intrigued. I decided to get it based on the major buzz that it got over the years. As a book lover sometimes getting a book based off its hype can be dangerous because if you have crazy high expectation, it is possible you may be let down in the end. This book was not one of those.

This book is about a young woman named Summer who gets kidnapped and locked in a, you guessed it, a cellar. She is locked down there by a psycho with 3 other girls. It is told in 3 perspectives. The first one is Summer, the one who is actually kidnapped. She tries to survive and live within a world she doesn't quite understand. It is the journey of survival and the saving of one girl. The second one is the kidnapper, Clover. He believes that he is saving these women from corruption of the world and they can be a family. In his free time he also irradiates the women who aren't pure. I won't give to much away. The third is Lewis, Summer's boyfriend, who she thinks about constantly while she is stuck. I thought the use of three perspective gave the book so much more dimension to the story. From Summer, we got to know how she was dealing with her situation and everything that happened while Clover was gone. From Clover, we got to know his back story and find out why he does what he does and how he is getting away with his antics. From Lewis, we see the hope. We see the fight that Summers' family has in searching for their daughter.

It is such a different book for me. I never really read thrillers or scary novels, but I am so glad I did. This book was amazing. It hooked me from the first chapter. I couldn't put the book down and I couldn't help but cover my mouth and gasp at a lot of things that go on. It is a crazy concept that is actually quite possible. It really made me want to never walk alone ever again, which in certain situations isn't a good idea in the first place. It taught me to watch your surroundings, which is always something to keep in mind (especially my ladies reading this! PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!)

Overall, this book was fantastic. When I finished it made it even more shocking and great knowing that the author was just a girl on her laptop writing a good story on Wattpad. That is truly an amazing story and I can't wait to read another one of her novels. "The Cabin" is sitting on my bookshelf as we speak!

Favorite Character: I don't want to say Clover was my favorite character because he was totally crazy, but his backstory was so fascinating. I did really like the idea of his character because stories and crimes interest me. However, my favorite character was without a doubt, Summer. She went through so much within one story. She was strong and held her own while being kidnapped and when she got back she tried to find who she was again. In a situation like that, that completely changes you, it is hard to find who you were because you don't feel like that anymore. You become a new version of yourself and I could relate to that part of her character. I am so proud of her <3

Favorite Quotes: "That was something I never understood. Why were women so callous when it came to other women's happiness?"


No comments:

Post a Comment